Please Share

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Where's Willy?

How geeky is this? I was trying to decide between a number of topic ideas that I have been bouncing around when a new one came to me, straight out of the bank machine. April is tax time here, and since I was expecting a return I e-filed early. Today I was in the city and on a whim decided to check my account at the ATM to see if the deposit had been made yet. Since it had (cha-ching) I withdrew a few dollars before heading to the big box electronics shop.

One of the bills had hand writing on it which caught my eye. Normally I would ignore such markings but this one jumped out at me. Neatly printed on the bill was "Follow my journey - online! www.whereswilly.com"URL and the bill's serial number was circled. With an like that I was a little concerned that the link might take me to a site of questionable content, but curiosity got the better of me.


Much to my joy the site actually allows you to trace the wanderings of your money before it reached your hands and, if you play along, after it's long spent. I've seen similar sites such as http://www.bookcrossing.com/ which is a free book club that allows you to track the travels of books that you've read. The idea is to leave the book in a public place with directions to their site for journaling it's travels. The really geeky part of this story however is what happened when I was putting this post together. Without really thinking much about it, I decided to scan the bill and post the image with the article. My trusty HP Officejet 6210 All-in-One gladly complied but when I tried to save the image to jpeg format, using Paint Shop Pro, I received the following message: "This application does not support the unauthorized processing of banknote images. For more information, select the information button below for Internet-based information on restrictions for copying and distributing banknote images or go to www.rulesforuse.org.".

rulesforuse.org provides guidelines for the use of images of currency and links to the appropriate governing bodies, according to where you live. I hope the Bank of Canada will approve of my alterations to the image included herein, in the interest of time I've done my best to render the image unusable for nefarious purposes... though I haven't requested the appropriate permission, yet!

Search

Google