Please Share

Friday, December 21, 2007

Apple silences rumor site

The New York Times today is reporting that Apple and Mac rumor site Think Secret have come to terms and site operator Nicholas M. Ciarelli, a Harvard senior, has agreed to stop publishing. In a telephone interview Ciarelli told the Times “We’ve been able to reach a positive solution,” but the terms of the deal were not revealed. The deal ends a lengthy battle between Apple and Think Secret, as well as other rumor sites that brought into question whether or not independent web publishers should be afforded the same rights as traditional journalists. Ciarelli says “Speaking more broadly, I think online journalists can feel confident that they can assert their First Amendment rights, even when they run up against large corporations.” If I had to speculate, I'd say he's being paid to keep quiet... can't say that I blame him, I was a student once.

Search

Google