Please Share

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Exoskeleton Gets Paralyzed Moving

Israeli high tech firm, Argo Medical Technologies, has developed a robotic exoskeleton called "ReWalk" that straps onto it's wearers legs and allows them to stand, walk, and climb stairs with the aid of the device. The user must have good upper body mobility, good control over their hands and shoulders, and still requires the use of crutches. The suit is controlled through changes in centre of gravity and upper body movements. Former Israeli paratrooper Radi Kaiof says "I never dreamed I would walk again. After I was wounded, I forgot what it's like. Only when standing up can I feel how tall I really am and speak to people eye to eye, not from below." The suit is currently in clinical trials at Tel Aviv's Sheba Medical Centre. Check out the BBC for more details and video.

Search

Google