Please Share

Saturday, March 29, 2008

Just Because I Wear Glasses Does Not Mean I'm A Nerd, And I Have The Science To Prove It!

A study published in the March edition of Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, lays to rest the long-held view that people who are short-sighted (myopic) are socially withdrawn and conscientious, in other words a nerd. "In multivariate analysis with age, sex, education, and the five personality factors entered as predictors, openness was the only significant personality predictor of myopia in both samples," the researchers, who sound a little bit nerdy, wrote. "People who score highly on this [trait] tend to have a wide range of interests, are often well-educated and widely read," so I guess they are more likely to be geeks! hmmm. CBC has more.

2 comments:

worldofhiglet said...

Hi! Just found your site. I'm interested in what differences you think there are between a nerd and a geek. I think I'm probably both, but I prefer the term geek. Do you have a good definition of them that gives the distinguishing features of each?

I like your blog, btw, lots of short snippets, easy to read and lots of information to keep a geek (or nerd!) coming back for more. I might have to reassess what I've been doing...

greatbiggeek said...

Hey worldofhiglet!

Thanks for the comment and the compliment, very much appreciated. I like the wikipedia definitions and have always considered 'geek' more of a compliment than 'nerd'. Nerd, has always seemed like a put down. Nerds are often associated with social ineptitude where geeks are appreciated for their intellect and technical prowess. I'll agree that they are often used synonymously and it's really just personal preference.

The short format has sort of evolved over time and I'll be the first to admit that it is partially out of laziness, but I prefer to say that I'm busy. The intent has always been to share things that I find interesting and I can cover more of these with the short format. I try to do 2 or 3 posts a day but lately it's been 2.

btw, I'm adding your blog to my feed reader, good stuff there as well!

Search

Google